Silent Dream Scanlations

Welcome to Silent Dream Scanlations!

Silent Dream Scanlations is a scanlation project that has been launched by OtakuZone. Our purpose is to scanlate all of your silent dreams.

Life after death?

NIGHTMARE

Dream Points : 6039

Life after death?

Post  NIGHTMARE on Thu May 27, 2010 6:30 pm

Do you believe in life after death?
    There's been people who claims that they've seen the 'other side' in near-death experiences.
    Personally, I believe in God and all but I'm not sure about heaven or hell.
    Lothhen

Dream Points : 3277

Re: Life after death?

Post  Lothhen on Thu May 27, 2010 7:21 pm

This is one of the big questions that in my free time I contemplate. Mind you I dont really have alot of time where I'm not currently doing anything. So I mostly contemplate while driving. Safe I know.

I dont know what I believe about death. I hope there's something after my life here. I hope that one day I'll beable to sit down with family that passed before me and tell them everything thats happened since they died.

Scientists claim that the "near death" experiences are merely all the synapses firing all at once and giving the illusion of a bright heavenly place. I dont know if I believe that either. I mean if there is a God wouldnt he want the transition from this life to the next to be a not scary thing and something that makes sure you know that things are gonna be different from what you know. So doesnt it make sense to have a bright light and a feeling of floating accompany death?

I have watched numerous television programs that attempt to tackle this exact question. They strive for an unbias presentation of both side's beliefs. And the more I watch these programs the more conflicted my mind is. I was raised religious. I was taught not to question, just believe. Around high school and college, when you're being taught critical thinking skills and deductive reasoning, I started to apply them to my beliefs. This led me to be agnostic for many years. I have since returned to my church in an attempt to find the answers I need. This is only one of the biggest questions I am trying to figure out for myself.
    .annoying

Dream Points : 4731

Post  .annoying on Thu May 27, 2010 10:16 pm

I do.
    I used to always think that when I was little, when you die, you get a choice to either wander your most loved one until they die too, live as a spirit to wander wherever you want, or be reborn. Now'a'days, I don't really know what to think. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell, and I believe in ghosts. So maybe people will just wander around aimlessly.
    NIGHTMARE

Post  NIGHTMARE on Thu May 27, 2010 10:47 pm

But if people just wandered around, wouldn't the earth be too crowded? I mean like a LOT of people have died, obviously, wouldn't heaven or earth ever get too crowded? Question
    .annoying

Dream Points : 4731

Post  .annoying on Fri May 28, 2010 12:37 am

<_< No. You can't see ghosts~
    NIGHTMARE

Post  NIGHTMARE on Fri May 28, 2010 12:58 am

Not for us. For the ghosts. I'm imagining ghosts being squashed in a room...poor spirits Sad
    Noroko

Dream Points : 4040

Post  Noroko on Fri May 28, 2010 1:33 am

Heaven and Hell are most likely on a completely different plane of existence.
    We would have also already left our own physical bodies behind, so there would be no sense of being "crowded".
    muramasa13

Dream Points : 3373

Post  muramasa13 on Fri May 28, 2010 2:48 am

meh
    not really
    I kinda like to think over all the possibility
    but I really dont think there is anything after death...
    Zaine

Dream Points : 3983

Post  Zaine on Fri May 28, 2010 2:50 am

I don't believe in life after death. I think when you die thats it. So I must enjoy my life to the fullest now!! Embarassed
    Katantoon

Dream Points : 3389

Post  Katantoon on Fri May 28, 2010 5:39 am

Actually I'm a Christain too and I do beleive in heaven and hell but I do not concern my self now of such matters.Well not yet.
    Hikari18

Dream Points : 3764

Post  Hikari18 on Fri May 28, 2010 6:10 pm

Im a Christian, an Apostolic Christian to be exact, so in no doubt, i believe in God and Satan, heaven and hell.so i believe that, we will, one way or another go to heaven or hell after we die.
    Noroko

Post  Noroko on Fri May 28, 2010 7:49 pm

I believe that we go to Heaven and Hell, but, unlike what Christians believe, I don't believe that you stay in Hell forever, even if you are a bad person. In the end everyone will be in Heaven, even the Devil himself. Because everyone has some good in them. It's what makes us human. Therefore Hell is more of a prison sentence. You do the crime and you pay the time. It might be where your soul is cleansed.

I also don't believe you need to be 'baptized' and go to confession regularly in order to be able to go to Heaven. According to the Church, if you don't do either of those things, even if you are the best person in the world, you cannot go to Heaven; instead to a place known as 'Purgatory'.

I think that whether or not we go to either Heaven or Hell depends on the number of good and bad deeds we have done, as well as several other factors. If you die as a baby, I believe that your soul will go to Heaven, as a baby is innocent of all wrongdoings, no matter what anyone else (such as the parents) have done.

...So yes, I do believe in life after death, though not really as much 'life', as a new state of existence.
    EchoFaith

Dream Points : 3070

Post  EchoFaith on Sat May 29, 2010 8:34 am

Personally, I don't believe in life after death. The way I see things, there simply isn't any evidence that actually supports the idea of an afterlife, and I cannot place belief into anything that has no concrete basis.

I can understand why people would wish for an afterlife, as most people fear death or those things which are associated with death. Such fear would lead them to create ideas which, if they believed in them, would alleviate those fears. Given that there really is no way to determine whether or not such an afterlife actually exists, I feel that the existence of the afterlife is at most wishful thinking. I would love to believe that life exists after death, but my own nature prevents me from doing so.

I see the idea of heaven and hell as a belief created in order to give people an additional incentive to do those things which a community considers to be good, while providing disincentive towards actions that are considered to be bad. When someone believes they'll be damned to hell for eternity, they are far more likely to think twice about stealing than if they had no such belief. In my opinion, the notion of eternity makes me think that the Christian God is quite unjust. An infinitely long punishment should only be given for an infinitely terrible crime. As humans have limited lives on Earth, I think it is simply impossible for anyone to truly deserve such a punishment.

In any case, I don't mean to offend anyone here, so I apologize if I did Humble
    Noroko

Post  Noroko on Sat May 29, 2010 1:46 pm

EchoFaith wrote:Personally, I don't believe in life after death. The way I see things, there simply isn't any evidence that actually supports the idea of an afterlife, and I cannot place belief into anything that has no concrete basis.

I can understand why people would wish for an afterlife, as most people fear death or those things which are associated with death. Such fear would lead them to create ideas which, if they believed in them, would alleviate those fears. Given that there really is no way to determine whether or not such an afterlife actually exists, I feel that the existence of the afterlife is at most wishful thinking. I would love to believe that life exists after death, but my own nature prevents me from doing so.

I see the idea of heaven and hell as a belief created in order to give people an additional incentive to do those things which a community considers to be good, while providing disincentive towards actions that are considered to be bad. When someone believes they'll be damned to hell for eternity, they are far more likely to think twice about stealing than if they had no such belief. In my opinion, the notion of eternity makes me think that the Christian God is quite unjust. An infinitely long punishment should only be given for an infinitely terrible crime. As humans have limited lives on Earth, I think it is simply impossible for anyone to truly deserve such a punishment.

In any case, I don't mean to offend anyone here, so I apologize if I did Humble
    Tis why I believe that Hell doesn't last forever.
    Would make more sense that way. Everyone has good in them. Everyone has evil in them.
    Balancing the two out, and then deciding that the person may be banished to Hell forever, only because they have commited one more sin than they have goodness, just doesn't seem fair.
    However, I think that believing in God isn't just an insentive to stay good.
    God also gives many a purpose, as well as a reason.
    Although many extremists have gone much to far with the consept of religion, the base of it is quite pure and just.
    So if were were a Utopian society, the belief in a kind, forgiving and just God would be brilliant, and bring more peace than otherwise.
    EchoFaith

Dream Points : 3070

Post  EchoFaith on Sun May 30, 2010 12:53 am

Noroko wrote:Tis why I believe that Hell doesn't last forever.
    Would make more sense that way. Everyone has good in them. Everyone has evil in them.
    Balancing the two out, and then deciding that the person may be banished to Hell forever, only because they have commited one more sin than they have goodness, just doesn't seem fair.
    However, I think that believing in God isn't just an insentive to stay good.
    God also gives many a purpose, as well as a reason.
    Although many extremists have gone much to far with the consept of religion, the base of it is quite pure and just.
    So if were were a Utopian society, the belief in a kind, forgiving and just God would be brilliant, and bring more peace than otherwise.

Just to clarify, as I think you may have misunderstood ^^;

I never actually said God was the incentive to be good. The incentive/disincentive is the idea that your final destination is based on your acts in life. God is merely (if I can say merely) the judge that looks at a person's life to decide their destination in the afterlife. Religion itself is a whole 'nother hornet's nest... Stress

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 26, 2018 5:07 am